Ringing, 4 September 2021

There were 5 of us today. Jane, Randy, Andrew, Maggie, and Erik. Erik is new, and so we didn’t ring as much as we usually do, since we were helping him out. This is the second time Erik has joined us.

We started with Plain Hunt on 6, with Randy on 1/2, Maggie on 3/4, and Erik on 5/6. Erik rang this last time he was here, and was able to ring it again.

We then added Andrew to ring Plain Hunt on 8, with Randy on 1/2, Maggie on 3/4, Andrew on 5/6, and Erik on 7/8. With some slight coaching from Jane, Erik again nailed this.

Next we added Jane to ring Plain Hunt on 10. Randy on 1/2, Maggie on 3/4, Andrew on 5/6, Jane on 7/8, and Erik on 9/10. Erik nailed this as well, after 1 or 2 attempts.

At this point, Jane and Erik retired to discuss theory (Plain Bob!!), and Randy, Maggie, and Andrew rang some minor. We started with Little Bob, and had a hard time (those leads come fast and furious!), but did ring a plain course of Little Bob a couple of times. Part of the issue is that we switched up bells, with Maggie on 1/2, Andrew on 3/4, and Randy on 5/6.

While Jane and Erik were discussing the logic behind Plain Bob, Randy, Maggie, and Andrew attempted St. Clements minor. We failed, but had fun trying. Again, we were ringing new bells – Maggie on 1/2, Andrew on 3/4, Randy on 5/6. After the second attempt, Jane and Erik returned to us.

At which point, Jane wanted to put into practice what she had just taught Erik. So we rang Plain Bob major, with Randy on 1/2, Andrew on 3/4, Jane on 5/6, and Erik on 7/8. With some coaching, We got through the method. It was the second attempt, if I recall correctly. After that attempt, Maggie stepped in to ring 3/4, and we did it again. And again we succeeded!

We ended with some speed ringing of Plain Bob major in our usual configuration of Randy on 1/2, Andrew on 3/4, Jane on 5/6, and Maggie on 7/8. Such a joy to ring something well known, and ring it fast!

There are no new methods here, so I am not linking to anything today. Previous posts should have links to the methods I listed here.

Ringing, 4 September 2021

4 thoughts on “Ringing, 4 September 2021

    1. It’s really a matter of keeping track of the pattern you are in. For plain methods, there are only n different patterns to learn, when you ring with 2n bells. (So for 8 bells, just learn 4 patterns, and you’re 90% of the way there). The other 10% is learning how to switch between the patterns when a dodge happens.

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.